Describe at least two institutional best practices
Best Practices I – Training Cell Program to enhance employability skills
With advent of changes in technology the scope of engineering education has become broader. So the expectations from engineering graduates are also very high. At SLRTCE, a need was identified to start a “Training Cell Program” that would help the students to build a personality equipped with exquisite technical and soft skills. With this in mind, a “TCP” is being implemented from the year 2016-17. The aim of the program is to enhance the quality of the students by empowering them with skills those are globally at par.
- Enhance the employability opportunity
- Prepare students for entrepreneurship
- Prepare students for higher education in India and abroad
- Integration into the curriculum: Training incorporated into the curriculum to help students for preparation and self – evaluation in technical and soft skills.
- Expert faculty: A good blend of classroom and hands on training provided by expert faculty.
- Assessment: Training need and outcome assessed on the basis of test pattern preferred by many well-known industries globally
The duration of program is 120 hours that spread over 3 semesters. It is to be undertaken by the student from the start of the Third year of engineering.
Evidence of success
Implementation of TCP has shown remarkable effect on placement activity. Also, students are able to crack professional examinations conducted by industries, government agencies, civil services etc. This unique activity is appreciated by industries and alumni.
Problems Encountered and Resources Required
The program is required to be conducted in parallel with regular academics. Therefore, extra sessions from industry experts are normally arranged on weekends. Convincing the students to attend such sessions is really a challenging task. Industry experts and corporate trainers charge heavily to the students for professional training. Extra budgetary provisions to conduct such training become essential or students pay on their own otherwise. As students are already paying heavy tuition fees to the institute, they are reluctant to participate for such training. However, it is necessary to give training to the students to cope up with industrial requirements and make them ready for placement. Introduction of TCP have solved majority of these problems with minimum expenditure and removed unnecessary financial burden on the students. This has also motivated the students to attend sessions even on weekends and holidays.
The institutional resources required to conduct TCP are as follows
- Classroom with LCD and multimedia facility
- Budgetary requirement for experts
- Software required for presentation, analysis etc.
- Internet facility to conduct online test
- IT infrastructure for hands on training
- Library with necessary e-resources, journals, and books.
Best Practices – II Unified Learning Process
- To know the diversity in the talents of students and encourage them to share it with others.
- to arrange interactive skill oriented training programs for transfer of skills.
- To encourage the student chapters and mobilize the teams with competitive spirit.
- To motivate their professional skills.
As we are observing that nowadays technology is growing very fast and that too in multiple directions. It is difficult for an individual to keep themselves updated in every field. So, SLRTCE came up with the concept of sharing the knowledge with each other without restrictions of the age or the stream. An informal as well as friendly environment has been created from the year 2016 to perform a “Unify Learning Process”. Initially it was started among faculty members of the same department. The response to this program was so excellent that the student also shown their interest to participate in it. Then another version released of this program where students decided to conduct seminars for other batches of students without calling any expert from outside. This became a trend and was followed by other branches also. Soon the mechanical students initiated the CESA chapter, and started a workshop of manufacturing smart cars, racing cars etc. The spirit continuous from batches to batches, as that becomes something very passionate and learning in a very different way of learning with fun with friends, and practical based, open for experimentation.
- finding the latest/current technology: Students in the core group work out about the latest or popular technologies required in various fields. They also figure out the time frame, and content of training.
- Identify talents of students: The student committee has to find out the interest and talents of various students of the institution. They arrange all logistics, venue, and all other necessary arrangements.
- Interaction between the students and transfer of knowledge and skills: Core committee students interact among each other and with trainee students. They also have to encourage students from all diversified domains to share their knowledge to others. Their encouragement is in a way that sometimes senior students also find interest in attending the seminar given by a junior speaker.
- Smooth conduct: For the sake of smooth conduct of the activity various faculty members as well as HOD keep observation and provide monitoring. So the gravity of the training session and the competition spirit is automatically maintained.
- Feedback: The feedback given by student’s trainees proves to be encouraging the next succeeding activity.
Evidence of Success
- Awareness of current market situation with respect to new technologies: After this activity interdisciplinary students became aware of current technologies in each other’s fields.
- Development of skills and improved knowledge: The knowledge provided in these activities are useful for them for their Professional life ahead.
Problems Encountered and Resources Required
Allocation of time for performing these skill development activities becomes difficult sometimes because of regular classes and practical. But managing on working Saturdays or after class time-table, things could work out efficiently.